Callicrates (callicrates) wrote,
Callicrates
callicrates

The I-Think-I'll-Go-For-A-Walk march, continued



Phase 1 of my system goes live to the whole lab on Monday. Phase 2 was supposed to be released in beta this coming Friday. That's not going to happen. First, I have two conflicting sets of instructions: (1) Do whatever it takes to have something useful for the customer, even if you can't deliver everything. (2) Don't work more than 8 or 9 hours a day 5 days a week. These two are in direct opposition to one another.

That in itself is enough, but wait, there's more! One of the major system components is an analysis engine written by a different group at Sandia. That engine is badly broken right now. It passed their test cases but when I fed it real data it fell over. I'm told that fixing that bug is "top priority", but the fact of the matter is that unless it is running flawlessly with good documentation first thing on Monday morning, it's too late for the mid-March release. I hope I don't have to take the fall for someone else's bugs. I really do.

It turns out that the real deadline for this application isn't 17 March, as I'd been led to believe: it's really supposed to be deployed by the end of March. This makes 2 weeks of difference on the calendar but only a few days in real terms because of other work commitments. This is a sticky situation. Something is going to have to give.

Oh well. Back to work, I suppose.

Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 3 comments